Friday, May 2, 2014

Post #10: Sharing Photos - Instagram

Instagram is an app/site directed at people who like to share photos, but its benefits depend on the user.  I signed up and viewed some of my friend's accounts based on Facebook contacts.  After playing around with Instagram and posting some photos of my own, I decided that it is absolutely not an app I would use.  I didn't feel like it was much different than viewing their photos on Facebook, honestly, although there are some ways to edit photos - cropping, changing the colors and turning the photo.  Other apps designed specifically for photo editing have more options (as far as I can tell) and do this much better.  I think Instagram would be useful for almost any library (public, school or even academic/college) because it is a good way for an organization to share photos and let people in the community know about programs, activities and new additions.  Many businesses have accounts on multiple types of social media and I think it is important for libraries to do the same thing - it reaches more people because not everyone uses the same kinds of social media.  By reaching more people, it increases patron usage of the library, which is ultimately the goal of all libraries.  By posting photos of classes, new technology, or reading programs, peoples' interest will be piqued and they will, hopefully, stop in the library to participate.  Instagram would be especially useful at reaching young people, as they often post "selfies" and are sharing photos through the app.  Libraries need to enhance their public profile and Instagram can help them do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment