Sunday, May 11, 2014

Post #21: Free-For-All - geotimescale

This was a difficult blog to write, simply because of my limited experience with apps and mobile devices.  In fact, as suggested, I blogged for #22 first because I had no idea what app to look at for #21.  I went back to Quixey and looked at some of the "sample searches."  One sample search was "find historical references."  I selected that phrase and conducted a search to see what Quixey offered, as I definitely wanted to find an app that could be used for education.  The results that came back were very promising - in fact, I had a hard time choosing an app to review because there were several good ones.  While looking for "historical references," I found - and decided to examine - geotimescale (a science app) because it received good reviews and sounded interesting.  The app is very basic, but it's extremely useful as a reference for a science class that studies earth's geologic eras.  The app is a continuous "Geologic Time Scale" that is broken down into eons, eras, periods, epochs and time measurements.  There are various reference points throughout the time scale that can be clicked for further information.  They are marked by an "i" and provide details, such as when the genus homo evolved or when when dinosaurs dominated.  The app is very basic and is useful for a niche audience only, but as an educational science reference tool it serves its purpose very well.

Another app I found really useful was the U.S. Historical documents app, but unfortunately it is a paid app (but only $0.99, $4.99 for the "pro" version).  It has copies of U.S. historical documents, which the user can read and highlight using different colors; fonts can also be changed and bookmarks added to certain documents.  Searches can be conducted using a text box.  This would be a good investment for U.S. history classes.  I'm glad I went back and searched Quixey again after Thing #22, because I found a lot more useful apps the second time around.

1 comment:

  1. Well, it may have been difficult to write but you did a great job - really good info here! And only one more post to go and you're done with all 23! Woohoo!

    ReplyDelete